The Advanced Placement curriculum (AP) constitutes individual AP subjects taught with the rigor of a university level course that offers students the opportunity to earn college credit while in high school. The curriculum of an AP course is challenging and goes into greater depth with the academic material than regular courses. AP courses require students to use analytical thinking, reading, writing, and problem solving skills. AP courses are taught using college level materials and teaching strategies.
LHS has a long and respected history of offering challenging AP courses in every subject area, so students may optimize their preparation for success at any university in the world.
Some of our AP offerings include:
- AP Seminar
- AP Research
- AP English Language & Composition
- AP English Literature & Composition
- AP Calculus AB
- AP Calculus BC
- AP Statistics
- AP Computer Science A
- AP Computer Science Principles
- AP Biology
- AP Chemistry
- AP Environmental Science
- AP Physics 1
- AP Physics 2
- AP Micro/Macro Economics
- AP European History
- AP Human Geography
- AP Government and Politics: US
- AP Psychology
- AP United States History
- AP 2D Studio Art
- AP Art History
- AP Spanish Language and Culture
- AP Spanish Literature and Culture
- AP Music Theory
For more information, visit: http://apcentral.collegeboard.com/
LHS and College Board Recognitions AP Awards descriptions.pdf
AP Diploma Application (Seniors only)
AP Capstone™ is an innovative and exciting program that helps you stand out in the college admission process by developing the critical skills needed to succeed in college and in life. Completing the AP Capstone courses tells college admission officials that students are challenging themselves and preparing for the rigors they’ll encounter at their institution and beyond.
Two courses — AP® Seminar and AP Research — allow you to immerse yourself in topics that matter to you while developing the analytic, research, problem-solving, and communication skills that colleges seek in their applicants. This challenging program helps you deepen your passion for learning, gives you greater confidence in your academic skills, and provides a broader perspective on your world.
Benefits of the Program:
- Distinction – Stand out in the college admission process and have the opportunity to earn valuable college credit or placement
- Critical Skills – Students acquire rigorous college-level analysis, writing, and research skills that are increasingly valued by colleges
- Choice – Students choose their own research topic and study issues and topics of interest and importance to them
Students learn how to
- Design, plan, and conduct a year-long mentored, research- based investigation
- Apply research methods and practices to address a real-world topic selected by the student
- Write a college-level research paper, present and orally defend the findings and research methodology
Students who earn scores of 3 or higher in AP Seminar and AP Research and on four additional AP Exams of their choosing receive the AP Capstone Diploma™.
Students who earn scores of 3 or higher in AP Seminar and AP Research but not on four additional AP Exams receive the AP Seminar and Research Certificate.